Monday, May 23, 2011

How this business all began.....

Hi, my name is Ruth, and I'm starting a blog.  (This would be when all you fun folks out there in the interweb would all yell "HIIII, RUUUTH!")  I guess I should start with why I'm creating a blog and also why I named it as I did.  Here we go...

How it all began...

A couple of years ago, I compiled a "Life List"; a list of things I have always wanted to do, try, or incorporate into my life that I've just never gotten around to doing.  Through some inappropriate time management (I like to sleep, what can I say), and a general "I'll eventually get around to it..." attitude on my part, time has passed and I have not checked off ONE thing on my list.

But no more
This blog is basically going to be used to keep me accountable for my list.  I once said to my running partner "Guilt an accountability are the cornerstones of my run training!"  Although I was attempting to be funny, it is still really true.  I can set all the goals in the world, but  if there isn't some way for me to be held accountable, then I will never accomplish anything on my list.  I don't want to be one of those little old ladies who at 65 realizes she hasn't gone on any of the adventures she once dreamed of and must then try to cram a "Bucket List" into her last few lame ass years on this earth.  My life shouldn't get in the way of truly living.  And this isn't a one-and-done kind of list.  These are all the crazy and offbeat things I want to do for, well, the rest of my life.  Things that I once thought I would be a veteran at by now. 

So I'm starting a blog.  Anything but Average, Nothing But Normal.  The title is always what I thought of myself and my life.  Because being "average" always seemed like the kiss of death to me.  I mean seriously, who in their right mind aspires to be just "ok"?  Not I.  And I think there are alot of people out there who feel the same way.  And I think that is "normal", or whatever the hell that means in this day in age.

So without further ado, The List.

My Life List

(in no particular order)

1. Learn how to surf
2.Give back to the different communities I belong to
3. Connect with my extended family
4. Reconnect with old friends
5.Rediscover my volleyball mojo
6.Run a marathon
7.Learn how to play something cool on the guitar, piano, drums, and harmonica
8.Truly learn a foreign language
9. Finish my "Adult List" so I have more time for my "Life List"
10. Travel to the places I've longed to see and some that I would never have thought off
11.Learn to make one full meal (app, entree, and dessert) from scratch.  And make it WELL
12. Learn how to really dance
13. Write a book
14. Now write a book I'd actually read
15.Read at least 2 new books a month
16. Start and maintain a blog
17. Do one thing a day that scares me-taken from the Lulu mantra (this does NOT include scary movies.  BLECH!!)
18. Learn how to ride a motorcycle
19. Sky dive
20. Learn how to ice skat/roller skate backwards
21. Appear in a movie or tv show
22. Be open to new experiences and be ready for the list to grow!


#22 May be the most important part of The List.  I want to continue evolving and growing as a person.  I want to get back to/become the person who once was willing to take on the world.  Who knew that if she didn't put herself first, no one else would.  The girl who refused to let her day-to-day life get in the way of living. 

So I hope you enjoy my blog.  And sorry for the uber-long first post.  And I promise I'll be funnier next time. :-)

Love,
Ruth




1 comment:

  1. When you go to learn how to dance take me with you :]

    ReplyDelete